01 November 2016

I Have Been Somewhere Else...

...and that is a place many of us have to visit...caring for a beloved mother, and helping her pass from this world into the next. We buried her in her beloved Apalachicola, Florida last week, and stayed at St. George Island for two weeks to relax and celebrate her remarkable life.

I've missed you, I've missed Provence, but the last ten months were precious to me. Mom and I laughed and talked our way through her days and nights. I made sure she was in her own home of 55 years, that she was safe and happy, with me in the next room. 

When she passed away, she was 98.6 years old, and her very last words to me were "See you later, Alligator"! The portrait below was done by my husband, Chris Golson, a week before she died! I will love and miss Marianne Sloan Coombs Cunningham forever!













6 comments:

  1. Kit, so sorry to hear about your mom...and it sounds like you gave her the most precious gifts of all: undivided attention and massive amounts of love. She must have been extremely proud of you and I can see how you cherished her. You're in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your mom's passing. How special that you could be there with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful portrait of your mother.

    A long life has come to an end ...

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kit: I'm so very sorry to hear about your Mother. It is a difficult road no matter the circumstances... I love her last words to you! My daughter and I say that so often and now I wonder if those might be what I say to her at the end: something to think about! We all hope to see more of you here in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I LOVE what she said to you in the end, priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky you are to have had your mother for such a lovely long life! And she to have you and her house of 55 years! That being said; it is an enormous loss....and I send you my heartfelt condolences. She will stay in your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think! merci!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails