14 April 2010

Would You Rather Float Down the Nile, or Do the Spring Cleaning?


It feels like I've been buried in that necessary ritual of spring cleaning: sorting, editing, tossing, donating, painting. I'm just a little..weary of it, on the brink of the lovely days that aren't quite here yet. Maybe I'm daydreaming a bit while I pile things to donate to charity and paint the closets. How would you like a refreshing change right about now?

What if you found yourself floating gently down the Nile River, in a houseboat as luxuriously appointed as any fine hotel, but with a continually changing view outside your window or from your floating veranda? A comfortable sitting room, a balcony deck, a shower that rained gently down on your weary shoulders, melting away the stresses of the day.


floating down the Nile on the bateau Nourelnil
past palm trees, camels, birds, people going about their daily lives


What if visiting Egypt inspired you to research the ancient Egyptian motifs that Napoleon brought into style when he returned triumphantly from his conquest of Egypt, ushering in the Empire style in early 19th Century France?


portrait of Napoleon on his throne

Empire Chest ca. 1806, France

Napoleon's Egyptian Sevres dinner service, 1806

Empire tripod table with griphons

Egyptian column designs, including the Palmiform, lower left


Egyptian sailing vessels


ancient Egyptian fauteuils


Egyptian design motifs and colors


What if you looked closely at the colors the ancient Egyptians used in decorating walls, floors, art objects and furniture in their sunny climate thousands of years ago, and were surprised to realize they are the same palette found in the Art Deco/Moderne era?







If you get really inspired by your trip down the Nile, you could go to this YouTube video and learn how to get the Cleopatra eyes look for yourself!




Which reminds me, it's time I got back to that spring cleaning and seriously edited the makeup drawer :)






.........................................


in 2010, it's:


Kit Golson Design

for elegant, sustainable and pragmatic

Chic Provence Interior Design







30 comments:

  1. I am sure that you know the answer to this one already. Clean the house :-)

    Leeann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me sold at the title..!
    Love the idea of floating down the Nile - especially in that boat! Wow, it is so beautiful!!

    I too am cleaning, culling, compartmentalizing and generally just creating a nicer home - for Autumn though. The temperature is fading here in Sydney and the days grow shorter. A welcome relief after a very long and very hot and humid summer.

    Happy cleaning dear.

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have been spring cleaning. I think Spring is in the air and we all have the cleaning bug!! LOL

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leann..my the things we will do to keep from doing the things we should!! I'm back on task..;-)

    Hope tout va bien where you are..is spring arriving in the south of France?

    xx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotta, I will think of your autumn cleaning as inspiration! now you can float down the Nile in your mind while you sort through the summer things and clear out!

    xx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Jo! I think so..and the winter seemed long and rainy, it's good to have a little time right now to freshen up the place! thanks for visiting1

    xx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great break from Spring Cleaning!!!
    Thanks, I sooooooo needed that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Therese! thanks, I've been so busy I haven't been checking out everyone's blogs..can't wait to get caught up, I'll hop on over to yours asap!

    xxx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Egytpian art (maybe why I also like Art Deco and French Moderne). This house boat is completely gorgeous...thanks for the lovely daydream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Averill, it's amazing how those elements make their way into design we still love today...hope you are doing well, thanks for visiting!

    xx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Kit, thanks for such a beautiful post. What an amazing boat; looks like a wonderful way to travel. . . not will you please come start on my closets too? 8*)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Melanie! be right over! we can trade in your amazing sauces!! ;) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK Kit, sign me up for the Nile trip. It has been a dream of mine for EVER. Le Style Napoleonien is a little too-too for me but I admit some of the pieces are spectacular! GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is a great history information you shared and the colors- you are right, their style is just so classic that it still infuses in our living rooms. my drawers are my challenges to work on cause i find it hard to part ways with a lot of old stuff that i need to get rid off. happy cleaning and hope to see you back soon. take care...maryann

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought you might like it is because I regularly post related articles accompanied by great photos.I would like to do link exchange with ya blog .... if you thinks its suits for your blog let me know by email ...

    Extraordinary Thing


    If you like my site I wondered whether you might consider linking to it from your blogroll, I would of course be willing to return the favor.

    My Blog is :Extraordinary Thing
    This was my Url : (http://extraordinary-thing.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post and so inviting! I have also been doing the spring cleaning, ugh. I think it never ends! I have a lovely little wooden box with mother of pearl inlay from Egypt that I just love. Egypt is one of the few places I have not been, but would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds absolutely romantic and exotic... the perfect combination!!! i'd like to invite you to stop by my blog and participate on my latest giveaway... have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kit... these images are divine! Yes please I would love to go floating down the Nile in one of these houseboats especially with the interiors of this one! Love the work you have put in and linking it to the colours of the deco era... I never new they were similar. As the date palms gently sway in the breeze.... the sun will set in a crimson glow. See I am totally there! Gorgeous post Kit!
    Hugs
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi kit... brilliant post (i think i say this everytime) images amazing... love the color and of course, LOVE the red striped sofas... happy weekend ... and yes, i am cleaning and so overwhelmed...where did everything come from? eeekkkk xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jeanne-Aelia! Yep, let's go! I'm ready!

    thanks for visiting

    bisous

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI Maryann, I agree, getting rid of things is so difficult for me too..I tend to want to hold on way too long!

    good luck in your spring cleaning!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anita above Rubies! I thank you for the very kind comments! I too would like to see Egypt..someday!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi james and Extraordinary, I thank you for visiting, and I will check out your blogs/links..

    have a great day

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Punc! so good to see you here! I just hopped over to your blog and LOVE those dresses from Africa..how can we buy them? very cool

    xx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Frances, good to see you..I've been out of town and haven't visited much lately, but will catch up this week..can't wait to see what you've been up to etc

    xxx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Pam, you are too good! thanks for the totally sweet comments you left..ditto and back at ya!

    I'll be doing a lot of catch up as I just returned from So Cal (you were there recently too, right?)

    xxxx

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmmm, cleaning or floating down the Nile? Nile Please.
    Lovely post! Egypt is one place I have on my bucket list.

    big hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Barb!! ok, you can float down the Nile, too...we're all going!!

    big hug back at ya!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  29. Spring cleaning - Ugh! I'd travel across the street to get out of cleaning. A trip down the Nile would be fabulous, especially on that lovely boat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Refocused!..so funny!! thanks for visiting!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think! merci!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails